design is becoming more and more common in the workplace as of late; it has
been seen to significantly improve the way in which employees work as well as
boost morale and positivity in the company as a whole.
Domestic design not only provides a level of physical comfort with the use of soft seating and warm lighting but also brings a certain feeling of calm and familiarity into the workplace.
With domestic design features such as soft seating, breakout spaces, bright colours and homely furnishings, companies are able to create a more welcoming and warmer environment that employees feel happier working within. Workplaces with home design elements can easily compete with the appeal of home working, which is still a very popular choice for employees; they offer similar benefits that employees would normally receive by working from home, such as comfortability, flexibility, familiarity, and inspiration.
Everyone works and thinks differently. This is a known constant within the working world, but most businesses still stick to a typical commercial design that is structured to fit the idea of needing only two things: a desk and a chair. Domestic design accommodates everyone by including a variety of atypical office features in its design.
A flexible and comfortable workspace offers employees a space where creativity, innovation and productivity can flow freely. It also gives employees the ability and space to get up and walk around, socialise or even take a break away from their work; they’ll feel happy in coming to work and will likely feel less stiff and be more productive.
Benefits of domestic design in the workplace
There are many benefits to incorporating domestic design into the workplace and creating a more homely and warm atmosphere.
1. It can spark innovation and inspiration
2. It can help reduce stress.
3. It can create a more natural sense of belonging to a company or community culture.
4. It can boost productivity and performance.
5. It can create a more welcoming and relaxing environment
WAY TO INCORPORATE DOMESTIC DESIGN IN THE WORKPLACE
Incorporating domestic design into the workplace can not only help to create a more comfortable and relaxing space for employees but also boost productivity and mood.
1. Use ambient, warm lighting or natural light from windows and doors.
2. Utilise soft seating such as dens, sofas, and armchairs.
3. Incorporate house plants (real or imitation).
4. Add a splash of colour to the walls or furniture.
5. Add homely touches such as artwork, bookcases and cushions.
6. Mix things up by adding furniture different from the traditional office desk and chair, like couches, bean bags, and even nap pods.
With domestic design coming more into play within the working world, it’s likely that employees won’t be bound by traditional commercial design, and instead, they will be encouraged to think and produce innovative and creative work without structures limiting them, just as their workplace showcases through its domestic design.